Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Addie Mae

So my Addie is now 28 months old, in childless people years that would be almost 2 and a half.  She is the smartest thing I have ever known.  I don't think that I will be able to home school her when she becomes school age because she will have by that time surpassed my IQ level, though it isn't THAT high, I would like to think that I could at least make it to age 4. 

This girl is the best big sister, always making sure that her little sister has everything she needs.  She loves helping us take care of her.  She helps me feed her dinner every night, helps me feed her a bottle, helps during bath time, and during her fussy times.  When Cara is in the floor playing Addie stops everything she is doing to find all the toys she can find and lines them up all the way around Baby Cara so that she will have something to play with.  It is really the sweetest!!  She will hug her and say "I love my little sister",  I am sad for you who have not heard her say this in person, it will melt you on the coldest day!

Addie is like a sponge, it just amazes me at how well she picks up on things and how receptive she is with the happenings around her.  On many occasions she just starts speaking these words that nobody ever taught her, just words that she has heard us use, but she most always seems to get them in the correct context.  She is still learning to flip persons around but when she does she does it correctly.  For instance if I say "Addie will you please pick up YOUR books", she will say "pick up MY books?" I find that she is doing that a lot these days, but the cool thing is we didn't even teach her this, she just picked it up.  She streams sentences, so much so that we don't even notice she is only 2 years old, for me it is like I am talking to an adult most of the time. 

She has an impeccable memory, she and I can be in the den and I can ask her to go into a whole different room to get something that is in something else and with no other prompting she does.  She is so polite about it too, "Addie could you please go get mommy's phone for me, it is in my purse." "Oh sure!"  is usually the response as she hops up, runs into the other room and is back in a flash with my phone in hand.    So many little things she keeps up with, promises, where things are, where things go, places.  I was wearing  an Allegacy shirt the other day when she was admiring the emblem on the front.  I said "that's for mommy's work" she then jumps up and says "Oh!  I see mommy's work!"  As she runs over to the table where I had laid my debit card days before and picks it up, points to the same emblem and says "Look!  I found mommy's work!"  Speaking of work, Chris has been with Wachovia for a year in October and yesterday we rode by Borders in Thruway to see the sales they were having when we pulled in Addie immediately noticed the Sprint store and said "Look Daddy, I see your work!"  How in the world could she remember that from a year ago?!?!  But the thing is, is that she DOES know his work now, every time we are riding down the road and she sees a Wachovia sign she recognizes it as "Daddy's work".  Her memory is way more intricate than just that of remembering where in my purse my phone is or where Mommy and Daddy work, but if I was to explain it all in depth it would just take up too much time. 

All of this is never really understood unless you meet my sweet little genius in person. 

She knows the differences between her left and right, up and down, backwards, forwards and sideways.  She can show you near and far, small and big, in and out, over and under, upside down and right side up, high and low, bright and dark.  She knows that sun comes up and the moon and stars go down in the morning, then at night the opposite happens.  She is so inquisitive as to how and why things work.

Potty training is going well, she just started telling us when she needs to go and that really helps, because if you know me  I just can't keep up with remembering to ask her if she needs to go.  Diapers stay dry through night and nap, but we aren't quite ready to take them away yet.  But she loves her princess and Minnie Mouse big girl panties and is so proud of them!  Plus getting M&M s, well that never hurts!  We have been talking about doing something other than the candy for rewards, but she is learning so fast that by the time we get something worked out she will already be trained, maybe we will be prepared for the up and coming...

So lets talk about reading...She is reading some words, on her time of course but nevertheless, she can pick out some sight words.  She has really been into Word World a show that all the characters are words.  Like the frog character looks like a frog but when he turns to the side his body spells out FROG as does everything else in the "Word World".  The other day we were riding down the road and came to a stop, she looked up and exclaimed "STOP SIGN!" Really, nobody taught her that, I have no clue where she gets this stuff from!  Who says TV can't be educational, I see no need in restricting her when she certainly is not behind.  My mom has been reading this book that explains what a child needs to be able to do and know before they can start kindergarten.  Well Addie is right there just about, I don't know exactly what she is lacking, I know she needs some work on her numbers, but we have had the discussion before that on the track she is on, she may have to skip just to be able to be on the same level.  But we shall see there is still 3 yrs to go!

She is in the phase now where she loves to help me in the kitchen so if I am cooking(which I am sad to say is not very often)  she is right beside me.  She loves doing crafts with Grandma and is rather proud of her finished products.  Her and Grandma have also been growing some cherry tomatoes (tamos in Addie language) and she just loves watering and checking on them.  She is my little nurturer, she was sick last weekend so I slept with her one night and a few times during the night instead of me getting up to check on her, this sick little girl got up and checked on me!  She made sure that I had one of her friends to cuddle with, I had a pillow to lay on and covers to keep me warm then to top everything off, she woke up a couple of times to rub my back and give me a kiss on my head.  Yes she IS that sweet.  She is a very organized individual (she has to get that from me, HELLO, OCD), she is really good at picking her stuff up and putting things away.  Like with any toddler you are gonna have days where she doesn't, but for the most part she is good about that. 

I think that the dress up phase in not far away, she loves wearing my shoes and is pretty good at walking in heels.  Of course I like it best when she dresses Daddy up. 

I am sure that I have mentioned before that we really think that she is going to be musical in some way, here is how we know...  The piano, she frequently gives recitals in our living room.  The drums, yep she drums just about anything.  How about singing, well she sings, she keeps beat and she even changes her tone as she sings.  Her current songs include but are not limited to, Jesus Loves Me, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat, The ABC song, The Itsy Bitsy Spider and though I don't think she knows the song she did ask me the other day, as she was looking at a grandfather-esk clock at my parent's house, if the mouse ran up it.  But then there is dancing...she is our little ballerina, she loves to dance,  who knows what she will accomplish.  Only our Creator who made her in His perfect image. 

Like the previous post, I promise pictures to come soon!!

No comments: